Website Charles Drew Health Center, Inc.
POSITION SUMMARY: The WIC Nutritionist is responsible for serving WIC participants through an assessment of nutritional status, assigning appropriate WIC food packages, and providing participant-centered nutrition education and counseling. The WIC nutritionist promotes and supports breastfeeding and provides referrals to other medical and community resources.
POSITION-SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Obtain and document height and weight measurements and conduct hemoglobin testing and lead screenings.
- Complete nutrition interviews and collect nutrition-related information.
- Utilize information collected to conduct nutrition assessment, certify WIC participants, and provide appropriate and culturally-sensitive nutrition education and counseling.
- Designs WIC food packages for participants and issue benefits according to policies and procedures.
- Promotes and supports breastfeeding through education
- Refers participants to other medical/community services and resources, as appropriate
- Provides WIC services at satellite clinic (when applicable)
- Attend meetings, trainings, and conferences to maintain knowledge of current policy and job-related skills.
- Performs related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates
- Bachelors Degree in Nutrition, Dietetics or related field
- Registered Dietitian or RD eligible preferred
- Understanding of public health system, maternal/child health, knowledge of food and nutrition
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office; familiarity with using computers and computer programs
- English fluency (secondary language of Karen, Nepali, Spanish or other a plus)
- Hours of Work: 40 hours per week; Monday Friday, 1 Saturday morning every other month
- Travel: The use of personal vehicle is required.
- Exposure: The exposure characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. For example, while performing the essential functions of this job, the employee rarely is exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. Additionally, the employee may occasionally be exposed to blood borne and other hazardous chemicals. Finally, the noise level in the work environment can rarely be quite loud. In all cases personal protective equipment will be provided to the employee in combination with adequate ventilation and other engineering controls to minimize the risk of exposure or other hazardous occurrence.
- Physical: Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with special challenges to perform these essential functions
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com